A good night’s sleep makes all the difference to how we feel and function throughout the day. As well as being relaxing and stress-relieving, getting enough sleep is important for our immune system and metabolism, among other things.
However, many of us find it tough to switch off at the end of the day. Stressors like blue light from devices that keep us alert in the evenings, a busy schedule, noisy neighbors or keeping up with social media are all common reasons why it’s so hard to fall asleep at night.
This article will focus on one small tip that you can use every night to help your skin rest — using a silk pillowcase. Let’s take a look at what you need to know about silk pillowcases and their benefits.
What is a silk pillowcase?
Silk pillowcases are made from 100% silk fabric that is woven tightly to create a smooth and strong surface. Silk is a natural fiber, and pillowcases made from this material have a number of benefits for your skin and hair.
Silk is naturally hypo-allergenic, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, which is great for those of us with sensitive skin. It is also highly breathable and will help regulate your body temperature. If you’re not familiar with silk pillowcases, you may be wondering how they differ from other pillowcases.
Silk pillowcases are lightweight, smooth and strong, and don’t easily wrinkle or shrink. They are very durable and can last for many years when cared for properly. They come in a wide variety of colors and designs.
Benefits of using a silk pillowcase
Silk pillowcases are beneficial for your hair and skin, and they also provide many other benefits:
- Silk pillowcases are great for your hair. They help keep your hair smooth, shiny and frizz-free.
- They’re also beneficial for your skin — silk is smooth and doesn’t irritate your skin like a cotton pillowcase might, so this can help avoid breakouts and acne.
- Silk pillowcases also look after your clothes. For example, if you wear a silk tie, it will last longer than a cotton tie because it’s less likely to get creases.
- Silk is better for the environment than cotton, as it requires less water, pesticides and fertilizer to grow.
- Lastly, silk pillowcases are hypo-allergenic and anti-bacterial, which can be beneficial if you have sensitive skin.
How to use a silk pillowcase
There are a few things you should keep in mind when using a silk pillowcase:
- Wash your silk pillowcase every two weeks, or sooner if you spill something on it. For best results, hand-wash your silk pillowcase in cool water with a mild detergent. Be careful not to wring it out too tightly, as this can cause creases in the fabric. You can also dry your silk pillowcase on a low or gentle setting, or you can air dry it.
- Avoid ironing your silk pillowcase as this could damage the fabric.
- You can pair a silk pillowcase with a silk face mask to maximize the benefits.
- Avoid using a silk pillowcase if you have long hair.
- Don’t use a silk pillowcase if you are allergic to the natural protein present in silk.
Things to be aware of when using a silk pillowcase
Although they look great and come in a variety of colors, silk pillowcases may not match the rest of your bedding. If you are allergic to the protein present in silk, you should not use a silk pillowcase. Silk pillowcases are more expensive than cotton pillowcases. Since silk is a natural fiber, it may be more prone to shrinkage, bagging and color fading over time. Plus, if you have long hair, you should avoid using a silk pillowcase as it could become tangled in the fabric.
Silk pillowcases are beneficial for your hair and skin, and they also provide many other benefits. A good night’s sleep affects your whole day, and a silk pillowcase can help you relax and fall asleep faster.
Silk pillowcases are lightweight, smooth, and strong, and don’t easily wrinkle or shrink. They are also beneficial for your hair, skin and clothes. Silk pillowcases are more expensive than cotton ones, and they should be washed regularly to extend their lifespan.
Silk pillowcases are hypo-allergenic, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, which is great for those with sensitive skin. Silk also looks after your health by being better for the environment than cotton and gentler on your skin.